SWEET CHILLI SQUID INK SPAGHETTI WITH PRAWNS
I was given this incredible squid ink spaghetti as a gift from a friend, so I chose to combine it with my very own homemade sweet chilli sauce and some prawns to create this perfect oriental fusion dish. Using a homemade sauce will ensure that you are eating a much healthier meal, especially as I have decided to use honey so there are no refined sugars. Alter the quantity of chilli flakes to adjust it to your level of spice and blitz the sauce to the texture you desire. I appreciate that squid ink spaghetti may be tricky to get hold of but this meal will work just as well with classic spaghetti or even noodles. You can order the spaghetti from various online stores, such as ‘Melbury & Appleton’ and ‘Sous Chef’.
(quantities for one portion)
- ½ red pepper
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 handful of spinach
- 75g squid ink spaghetti
- handful of king prawns
- Roughly chop the pepper and onion and place them in a saucepan along with the honey and chilli flakes.
- Pour over boiling water so everything is just covered and place this on a medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the peppers have softened. Make sure to stir whilst it cooks.
- Remove the mixture from the hob and pour it into a food processor along with the garlic. Give the mixture a few pulses in the food processor until a thick sauce forms. I like having it slightly chunky so I don’t blend it until its smooth.
- Place the pulsed mixture back into the saucepan and leave it on a low heat whilst you begin to start boiling your spaghetti in salted water. This should only take about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the prawns to the sauce to cook them through.
- Once the spaghetti has cooked, add this into the saucepan with some spinach and stir everything so it’s coated in the spicy sauce. Now it’s time to plate up!
Written by Ellen Stanton, more recipes on Pale Blue Plate